Animal Control

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Please do not leave animals in a vehicle over the hot summer months!

The Bylaw Services Department is responsible for ensuring a safe and healthy environment for citizens by regulating and enforcing the Animal Control Bylaw within the City of Whitehorse.

Animals Off Leash

Attention dog owners! When you are out for a walk, please keep your dogs on a leash and bring a bag to clean up after them.

Cat owners are also reminded that cats are not permitted to leave their properties unless on a leash. If your cat tends to wander, please keep it inside or secured while outside. 

Canine Bluffs Off Leash Park

Located at the end of 6th and Main, Canine Bluffs is an ideal setting for dog owners and dogs in our community. Dog owners are encouraged to gather in this park to spend time with their dogs, connect with other owners and watch their dogs play and interact. Off leash dog parks offer tremendous social and recreation benefits for dogs and their owners. Canine Bluffs is located at the end of Main Street next to Teegatha' Oh Zheh Park. 

Canine Bluffs Dog Park


Share-A-Bag Dispenser Program

Parks and Trails have a new dog bag dispenser program in certain neighbourhoods where residents are asked to bring gently used bags from home to place in these dispensers. Dog owners can then reuse these bags to pick up after their pets and dispose in provided containers. Special thanks to the Porter Creek Citizens Association for piloting this program!

Licensing Your Animal

Dogs and cats are required to be licensed within the City of Whitehorse. Having a licensed animal will assist in getting your furry friend home safely if it gets lost. 

You can obtain a license by:

  • Emailing with copies of your pet's spay/neuter certificate and microchip papers. Please indicate if you want to pick up the license at City Hall or have it mailed to you, how you prefer to pay (do not include payment information in email) and a contact number.
  • Going to City Hall in person with the above information.
  • Placing the above information into the Blue Drop Box in front of City Hall.
  • Calling 667-6401 to make arrangements to obtain the license from City Hall.

City of Whitehorse (City Hall), 2121 Second Avenue, Whitehorse, Yukon from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding Statutory Holidays).

License Cost

Lifetime tag $27.50 (animal is spayed or neutered)

Yearly tag $50 (animal has not been spayed or neutered)

Animals with yearly tags must be renewed at the beginning of each calendar year.

If your animal is microchipped and spayed or neutered your Lifetime tag is free.

Please remember to bring proof of spay/neuter/ vaccinations and microchip if you have it when purchasing the license. 

Notifying Bylaw Services - Animal Issue or Welfare Concern

Bylaw Services Constables are on duty from 8 am to 9 pm during the week and from 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on weekends and holidays. To report a complaint or for after-hours assistance, please call the trouble line at 667-2111.

Bylaw Services is located at the Public Safety Building, 305 Range Road, Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 3E5.

If an offence is observed please contact the trouble line at 667-2111 or email

Animal Control Regulation Pamphlets and Links 

Animal Control Pamphlet

Barking Dog Pamphlet

Bite Free Pamphlet

Hens Web Page

Honey Bees Web Page

Off Leash Pamphlet

Tips for Cat Owners

Three Dog Permit

Weather Pet Tips


View our Exotic Animals web page here!